Businesses today, especially those that rely on shift work, often struggle to effectively organize and manage the workforce in jobs, projects and contracts. This usually has a significant impact on the business, which is why shift work scheduling has become so essential if not critical business function. Let’s look at what is involved in shift work scheduling and how it can help businesses.
What is Shift Work Scheduling?
shift work scheduling Refers to the process of scheduling employees’ shifts to ensure that the right employee is on the right job at the right time. With this kind of work shift schedule, employees often work in timed blocks at specific times and dates throughout the week. This scheduling process allows employers and operations managers to use shift schedules to achieve consistency and fairness when scheduling employees for work.
From the above, it is clear that a . make shift schedule And shift management is incredibly important. Without this kind of schedule, you can hire the wrong employees at the wrong places, put the wrong types of employees at the wrong places, etc. But managing the many different moving parts and work shifts is often complicated and complicated. This is the reason why many businesses are turning to innovative shift work scheduling software to effectively schedule employee shifts. Such software can ensure labor efficiency by rostering and posting shifts and identifying problems with incorrect numbers and grades, as well as overtime or non-productive time at multiple client locations. It provides you with the insight and information you need to make informed business decisions as a manager. One of the benefits of this type of software is its ability to adapt to many different types of shift schedules.
6 Types of Shift Schedules
Not all businesses operate equally, which is why there are many different types of shift work, shift patterns, and shift planning procedures used to schedule employees. This includes:
- full time shift schedule – A typical full-time workweek schedule is 45 hours, excluding lunch breaks. This means that full-time employees are required to commit to 9 hours per day for five days a week or less, or a commitment of 8 hours per day for five days a week or more. Full-time work schedules vary from company to company and depend on operating hours. But for the most part, full-time workers can expect to work the same shift each week.
- part time shift schedule The most obvious difference between full-time and part-time work schedules is the number of hours employees are required to work. Any work schedule with fewer hours than the full-time schedule is considered part-time. Some employees may prefer part-time employment because it allows them more flexibility.
- rotating shift schedule – A rotating shift plan often works best for companies that operate on a continuous or 24/7 basis. The rotating shift roster includes day, night and swing shifts that occur in a weekly, monthly or quarterly cycle.
- split shift schedule Working split shifts means that employees divide their working hours across the day. For example, if one is required to work for 8 hours a day, they can choose to work for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. This is a popular staffing schedule among businesses that are constantly open, and among teams that need flexibility.
- DuPont Shift Schedule – The DuPont roster has a normal shift work schedule and operates as follows: Work schedules are broken up into shifts and work in a 12-hour shift rotating pattern. The employees are divided into four teams. During a 4-week period, each team would work a set of 4 consecutive night shifts, followed by 3 off duty days in the first week. Then they work 3 day shifts, then 1 day shift and then 3 night shifts in a row. After this, the team has 3 days off followed by 4 day shifts and then 7 days off. This roster repeats every four weeks.
- pitman shift schedule – Commonly known as the “Every Other Weekend Off” schedule, the Pitman shift roster is when employees are divided into teams of 4 who work two 12-hour long shifts per day. This roster operates in 2-week cycles, and with this, teams have every other weekend off and employees never work more than three consecutive days.
There are many different companies and industries that use this type of employee shift working schedule. These companies include the security and cleaning sector and labor brokers. For these companies to effectively manage this scheduling process, the software chosen needs to tick several boxes.
Fundamental Components of Shift Work Scheduling Solutions
When choosing the right kind of shift work scheduling solution that enables you to effectively create work schedules and manage shift planning for your employees, you need to ensure that the software has the following capabilities:
- contract management – Details about each site or location are captured and maintained in the system allowing you to keep track of labor needs and requirements.
- management staff – Details about each person to be managed, permanent and incidental, are entered and maintained in the system. This includes information related to their skill level, rank, abilities, etc.
- Staff Scheduling Per Location – Scheduling (rostering) of personnel shifts is done per location and can be done manually or automatically, making scheduling casual workers very easy.
flexible business rules – Allows for customized business rules according to your specific needs. This is especially important when casual workers need to change and adapt to the changing needs of the organization.
One solution that ticks all of the above capability boxes is EasyRoster. This software solution removes the complexity of creating employee work schedules and makes the process easy and practical to manage. If you’re looking for a shift work scheduling solution that works across a variety of shift schedules, look no further. Book a demo today to learn more about how this innovative software can simplify and streamline your employee scheduling.
Book a customized demo of EasyRoster software and see how it can work for your unique business. Testing drive software has never been so easy or convenient.